Breastfeeding Support: Skills For The Doula
Breastfeeding may be one of the most natural interactions between parent and child—but that doesn’t mean that it is always easy! This workshop is designed to help you develop more tools for supporting parents in meeting their breastfeeding goals, especially in the early weeks. We will cover the following topics in this 3-hour class:
• Anatomy & Physiology of the Breast
• Normal, Physiologic Lactation
• Benefits of Breastfeeding for the Family
• The Best Start for the Breastfeeding Dyad
• Effects of Birthing Practices on Breastfeeding
• Breast Milk Expression & Milk Storage
• Common Breastfeeding Difficulties
• Alternative Feeding Methods
• Special Support for Infants Born Prematurely
• Special Support for Infants Born by Cesarean
• Recognizing the Need for More Support
• Cultural Sensitivity & Counseling Skills
Learn how to help families get a smooth start on their breastfeeding journey. This is great for new or experienced doulas. All birth workers are welcome! This class meets DONA requirements for certification and is taught by a Midwife and IBCLC.
Cost to register is $45.00 per person.